The Law of Least Effort: Understanding It So You Can Apply It
The Law of Least effort is my absolute favorite consolidation of everything I believe in and try my best to follow. It’s the 4th law in The Seven Spiritual Laws for Success by Deepak Chopra. I’ve just asked my sister (who’s an amazing artist) to make me a print or piece of art representing the law. I sent her an email trying my best to break it down. Although there’s a bit more to it I think I did my best getting the big message across. You can read Deepak Chopra’s full explanation here. I really hope this can effect you the way it did me. If there’s anything I’m constantly conscious of it’s this:
The Law of Least Effort is based on the idea that “the universe is never wrong”. Meaning, where you are and what is happening in every moment is exactly as it should be. Following the law of least effort means accepting instead of resisting…resisting=effort. When you allow yourself to just accept your circumstances you are able to make the choice to move forward in a positive direction. It’s all about doing less (just accepting) so you can have and access more love, energy and positivity.
As humans we have the choice to be positive or negative. Of course, humans naturally are ALWAYS positive until they choose to let negativity in. Each day we wake up we have a clean slate and are naturally positive from the very first second. Our choices of accepting or resisting determine our lives and what we’ll receive from others and the universe after that first second. When your actions and intentions are motivated by love (acceptance and positivity) and you have no expectations then you are not wasting any personal energy. Your personal energy will then overflow into the universe because now you are not busy refilling your own “depleted” reserves. And when you put love and positivity into the universe that’s exactly what you’ll receive in return.
This is a visualization I used for myself to wrap my head around that idea:
1. Imagine your body filled up with only love aka positive energy…every part of it from the toes to organs to eyes and hair
2. Now imagine a typical day with situations where negativity might come into play
- getting mad at yourself for doing something “wrong”
- someone being rude to you
- eating sugar because you are tired
- spilling coffee on your shirt
3. Each time you react negatively to a situation your natural love reserve gets contaminated. Imagine what that looks like.
- When you are not loving yourself (like eating poorly or getting mad at yourself), not loving others (being rude back or treating others poorly as a result), or not accepting the universe (being upset over something that is an obvious accident) you are letting the negativity flow. Not only in the body but into the rest of your life and the universe.
5. Imagine now trying to do something good for yourself
- eating a salad or working out
Imagine doing something good for someone else,
- holding the door open, complimenting them or any act of kindness
With these actions, even though they are out of love, the result will go back into the body and universe to cancel out any previous negativity. Imagine that happening.
6. So now look at the body when it goes to lay down to sleep
- How contaminated is it, how much negativity was cancelled out and how much remains?
While you sleep your body works all night repairing and cleaning so you can wake up the next day with a clean slate again. Of course you know the more bad things you do or put into your body the more cleaning it has to do and you won’t always wake up clean and not contaminated. Which is why people are so unhealthy mentally and physically!!
So let’s start over
1. NOW imagine the clean body, full of love and ready to go
2. Go through the same typical day but with a positive reaction to each situation. Alright, no contamination so far!
3. Imagine this time doing something good for yourself, eating healthy all day and working out and imagine doing something good for someone else. You are not depleting your reserves if you expect nothing in return so you’re still full!
4. Now that you’re not trying to re-fill the reserve or cancel out previous negativity it’s just going straight out there into the universe. So now imagine that extra positive energy stacking on top of your head, encircling you or radiating from your body.
5. This is when you are purely putting good into the universe and this is when you will begin to receive it in return.
The second scenario sounds much easier with a better result doesn’t it? That is acting with the least amount of effort. And that is why everyone should try their best to live this way. Imagine what your life could be if you constantly receiving good things from the universe.